What is the Generate tool used for?
Generate has two useful purposes - Generate is a manual way for Podium to create a .script file that can then be run in the Podium Render Manager. This allows you to run the .script later if you like. It also gives you an alternative, in case OOPR does not get initiated automatically during the rendering process.
New in V2.5.x Beta - Relative file paths: Generate now outputs a folder containing the materials and textures from your SketchUp model, along with a .script file that uses relative file paths. This is hugely advantageous, as it enables you to transfer your .script and textures folder to any computer with access to Podium/OOPR, and render from a different machine. Previously, .script files could only be run on the computer used to generate them.
With V2.5.5 and above you are not tied to a single workstation: Send your .scripts and texture folder to a faster computer, and free up your primary PC or Mac to do other work.
How to generate a .script file for later rendering:
This video demonstrates how to generate and render a Podium script; the same instructions are repeated below.
1. Select the "Generate" icon in the Podium Toolbar, or from the SU Podium V2.5 drop down menu (pictured right).
2. Choose a save location - You will need to access this folder later, therefore save the folder to an easy to remember location.
3. Podium will generate a folder that has a number for a name (the number is the current date). This folder contains a Podium .script file, and a sub-folder called Textures (with a copy of all the texture images from the SketchUp model). This folder can be transferred to a different computer for rendering if necessary.
The render .script is generated using your current Podium Options settings (resolution, preset, environment, camera, etc.). You can later add the .script file to the Podium Render Manager enabling you to render scripts whenever you choose. You can even queue scripts in the Podium Render Manager (OOPR) to render the scripts in sequence.
How to render from a .script file:
To run .scripts inside SketchUp, open Podium Render Manager (OOPR) by choosing Render Manager from the SU Podium V2.5 pull down menu. Then use Add File and select the .script file from the folder that was created. Then select Start if the rendering does not automatically commence.
Alternatively, you can open OOPR from outside of SketchUp and Add the script file without invoking the Render function.
- Windows users - Go to C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 201x\SketchUp\Plugins\SU_Podium_V25\SU_Podium_V25\programsand click on OOPR.exe.
- Mac users - Go to MacIntosh HD → Library → Applications Support → SketchUp201x---> SketchUp → Plugins → SU Podium V2.5 → Programs and click on OOPR.
Once you have the OOPR window open, click on Add File and add the .script file. Rendering will commence when you do that.
Using Generate is also one way to trouble shoot a model that hiccups in Podium.