Lighting and rendering scenic designs with SU Podium
Question — "We are looking to take our stage and event designs to the next level using rendering software to bring the feel of realism. One of our big needs is to add theatre lighting into the designs. This is not the easiest thing to do in SketchUp; can SU Podium provide for this need?"
Answer — Yes, SU Podium can certainly be used to visualize theater sets. In this video we demonstrate the general process to set up a dark theatre environment, and then show how to add a few lighting elements to illuminate the set design. This video is appropriate for SketchUp/SU Podium beginners from a scenic design background, and will be most effective when watched along with the SU Podium getting started series.
Timestamps: Use the following links to jump to a specific topic
- 00:00 - Intro/Question
- 01:27 - Prepping the model and setting the camera
- 04:37 - Establish the ambient light level / setting up a dark theater environment
- 09:40 - Adding and adjusting spotlights to illuminate the set
- 17:25 - Render settings overview
- 20:15 - Adding subtle reflection to the stage
- 22:00 - Using Podium Browser for set dressing